Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Debt Free Forever, by Gail Vaz-Oxlade ****

Debt Free Forever: Take Control Of Your Money And Your Life

From the author's website:
Yes, it’s finally here… Gail between covers! While I’ve written a ton about how to get out of debt and how to stay out of debt over the past couple of years on my blog, what’s missing is a cohesive process that takes you from the beginning to the end. Debt-Free Forever fills the gap because everything a body needs is all in one place and in the right order. Reading the book is a little like having me knock on your door, have a quick look around and then get down to brass tacks.

I’ll warn you now, anyone who buys this book with the intent of working through the process of becoming Debt-Free Forever will have to bust his or her cute little patootie to make it happen.

If taking control of your money and your life is really important, there’s no doubt in my mind that you’ll find a way to do it. We human beings are remarkably resilient and incredibly stubborn when we set our minds to something. Sometimes we need a little help getting focused. Sometimes we need some help figuring out what the steps should be. If that’s all a body needs, Debt-Free Forever will guide you through the process.

Looking for an easy solution to your money mayhem? Don’t buy this book. You’ll be disappointed. For while the process is simple, there’s nothing easy about it. It’s tough going. And it takes real stamina and determination to get to Debt-Free Forever. Some people just aren’t ready yet. When you are, the book will still be here.

This is a no-nonsense book about how to take control of your finances. It's written by a Canadian; and since our banking and taxes are different, I suspect it would be most beneficial to Canadians. Honestly, it's common sense. It doesn't have any magic pill to help a person climb out of debt, but for me it was a much needed smack upside the head.

I should admit that this was the book I kept in my car to bring into waiting rooms, etc, so it took quite a few months to complete. I found it inspiring, though. I started following her plans in January, and am still (mostly) on track. For me, the most useful information was near that back, where she talked about the various forms of insurance that's available. I didn't realize how little I knew about all that until I read her book.

I'm torn on how to rate this one. I think it was a well written book that could be very useful to somebody who takes the time to read it and follow her plan. However, it's not the kind of book that I consider entertaining by any means. I read it because I thought I should, and I'm glad I did. It's quality, beneficial writing; but it wasn't a whole lot of fun to read.

I also highly recommend her blog.



Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life

No comments:

Post a Comment